Windows Live Writer: Inserting/embedding a MP3

Windows Live Writer is a fantastic offline blogging tool with a WYSIWYG editor. It interfaces with just about any blog service [Blogger, LiveJournal, TypePad, WordPress, etc.] If you're a blogger you'll find this tool incredibly helpful- and it's refreshingly free from Microsoft.
I was knocking around the other day and started working with a music creator; I found the process of creating music really nice and I wanted to share the music in a blog post, but Windows Live Writer doesn't have a music import/link or any kind of way to have users link to a MP3 and leter readers just listen/stream the music directly from the site.
I checked the Windows Live Writer plug-in site. I found a plug-in to insert music, but it didn't' work; in fact it caused my version of Windows Live Writer to crash completely. Windows Live Writer was not liking the plug-in at all [or maybe the code it injected].
But I did find a better way to do it…
I have used a plug-in on Windows Live Writer several time and each time, it just seems to do the trick...

You can use a nice little tool called Dynamic Templates.
I really suggest you go to the website and watch the videos to get the real idea of the plug-in. It can help/do many things.
Website:
http://www.joecheng.com/code/DynamicTemplate/
It's quite configurable to various things Windows Live Writer doesn't do by default. Ensure to watch the VIDEOS on its abilities...
Download here:
http://wlwtemplate.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=7199
With this you are able to pretty much build your own plug-ins for Windows Live Writer.

So, here's what I did…
After the plug-in was installed in Windows Live Writer, I opened the plug-in and went to generate  a new dynamic template option; 'insert MP3 player'

image
Once it was created, I went in to EDIT it…

You have to add a varible to it, so you can input the MP3 file location, to be inserted in to the post.


Here's the code…
<div>
<object data="http://www.google.com/reader/ui/3523697345-audio-player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="380" height="27">
<param name="src" value="http://www.google.com/reader/ui/3523697345-audio-player.swf" />
<param name="FlashVars" value="audioUrl=<%= URL_PATH_TO_THE_MP3_FILE %>" />
<audio src="<%= URL_PATH_TO_THE_MP3_FILE %>" controls preload="none" style="width:380px;"></audio>
</object>
</div>
I like this because the code is from Google and I don't see that link changing as long as Google has it. So, you should be able to simply copy/cut and paste this right in to place.
When you run the plug-in with the template you created; it does this…

image

Select and run the template…

Just punch in the URL to the MP3…
image

it has a nice UI, position slider and option to control the volume…
And then it inserts the MP3 right in to the composition of the blog post…
image
This is what I did; it works for me— the plug-in didn't. Obviously, you are welcome to make an attempt  or do something else, but I liked this idea.


 
Thank you,
Larry Henry Jr.
LEHSYS.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...